March 31, 2011

This is mainly for my mom. And probably yours.

Yup. This is another post about flowers. Please bear with me - this is what happens when you suddenly release an adoptive New Yorker (real New Yorkers might not care, or might be content with the lovely cherry blossoms at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden) into a springed out California. Flowers! Bees! Trees! Oh look, birds mating! Or are they eating each other's eyeballs? I wouldn't know, I live in a big city where fauna refers to either rats or pigeons, and flora often designates the plastic rhododendrons on your neighbor's windowsill.

Anyway. For the time being, we're staying in the house where Ariele grew up, and good lord there are some beautiful things in that garden. Lo and behold:

Fuschia daisies (marguerites)

Borage (bourache)

Orange blossom (fleur d'oranger)

Climbing roses (rosier grimpant)

And last but definitely not least, the California poppy (coquelicot de Californie). Check out that orange!

I know the weather has been an absolute horror in New York for the past few weeks, and I want you to know I am not taunting you with these photos. Quite the opposite. I am sharing these as a reminder that Winter ends, that Summer is near, and so is iced tea, bike rides, afternoon naps in the park, warm nights, hot days, cotton shirts, flower dresses, sandals, straw hats and terraces. Summer in all its glory.

Also, California is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.