Finally. We actually started a table. Number one of at least twenty-one others.
Four hundred and one screws went into this table today. Yes, four hundred and one. That's right, we counted. We used three drill batteries of two drills to get these babies in. Poor things! (the drills, not the screws).
It's not quite done yet, but it's close. We just have to frame out the whole thing in some old trim, then seal it.
Speaking of which, we are having a tricky time of deciding what to use for a sealer. Originally we were going to go with oil based Polyurethane, but it darkens the wood too much and we want to keep the faded wood as light and pale as possible. Then we were going to go with polycrylic, since it darkens the wood less, but I don't think it will stand the test of time as well, plus it looks a little plastic-y. We know resin would work great, but its a little pricy, and way too shiny. If anybody has opinions, we'd love to hear them!
UPDATE: I went with Satin Polyurethane for these oak beauties and it's perfect. Perfect!