Today began with fixing chairs.
Some chairs. Two, to be exact. We started with the absurdly damaged ones, which meant we had to pull them completely apart -- well, they mostly fell apart, so these particular chairs took a while.
The most urgent problem there was that we couldn't open the damn front door. For one, because no key exists for that lock anymore, and two, because the door was so swollen from water damage that even a hard beating wouldn't really get it open. So first, we had to kick it a lot. Then, I had to take out the existing door lock and handle, and it was taken to get fitted for a new key. Then, out came my beautiful old chisels and we got to work basically shaving off an inch on one side of the door. It, also, took a while.
Then came the sad news. We love these doors and absolutely want to use them, but among other possible issues, they have serious termite damage. I mean, its crumbling inside. And I was crumbling inside too when we took a screwdriver, poked it, and all this came out. Yuck. Not cool, termites. Not cool at all.
I think we may have some options for fixing it, cause we aren't enthused on the idea of buying a new door. New meaning salvaged of course, just new to us. So, we take it off, exterminate those termites, cut away this damaged corner and replace it with fresh wood like fitting in a puzzle piece. Or, instead of wood we use some sort of epoxy filler to rebuild this area -- must do research!
Here's the other possible problem with this door (we will have definitive answers in a couple days, so this is merely speculation): its might need to be tempered glass. Ya know, restaurant codes and whatnot! So we might have to replace the glass, which isn't desirable, but is a... possibility.
We will do everything we can to save this door! Its had a hard life so far... neglect, water, termites. I just want it to be happy and healthy again!