June 8, 2011

The plexi surprise

The water station corner is coming to completion.




































Yes, today I sliced up an antique. For the second time, this poor thing has been put under a saw blade and given a big hole. But it's bound to be a better life, living in a restaurant, than collecting dust in some antique store, right?


































And yeah, there is a bottle of wine sitting on it. Lunch! No not really, I just put it there for effect {and because I'm about to start building shelves to hold wine so I need it for measurement}.


































So after re-attaching the now faux-drawers, we added an extension onto the front door. It was just too short to feel magnificent, and I want it to be a grand entrance. Easy enough to do, we've done it before!


































We popped out the plexi so we could eventually put in some new stuff. So out came the super ugly windows. What is this, fake plastic-y, colorless, faux stained glass? It's just awful.


































I was about to throw them away {because seriously, that's just gross} when I figured I should inspect them a little closer, just in case. And what I discovered was a miracle. Well, as close to a miracle as can be when it comes to money-saving: Sandwiched on either side of that ugly gold plastic stuff, were two, beautiful pieces of glass. But not just any glass, tempered glass.


































Hell. Yeah. It was going to cost us a fortune to buy tempered glass and have it cut to fit. It was so expensive, I was on the verge of going with plexi. Me, settling for plexi? Wow. So it's a life saver that I found this. What a wonderful surprise!

Then, to top off a productive day, I got these:


































Beautiful! And big.

4 comments:

  1. CatherineJune 09, 2011

    What are those? They look like giant mixer blades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! Antique, industrial old dough whisks/mixers. I'm going to turn them into lights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CatherineJune 09, 2011

    Awesome. I'm excited to see how they will turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you seen the work of rupert, in london?
    http://spitalfieldslife.com/2011/06/08/rupert-blanchard-salvager-maker/comment-page-1/#comment-19337

    i just linked that story to you all.

    fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.