November 14, 2011

a bay of dead horses

{hey, it's November, let's go to the beach}
































































































Four hours spent in the freezing harsh wind, wet shoes, glove-less, and in two layers of flannel only. It was inevitable that we couldn't leave until the sun went down {which I suppose, luckily, happens at like four thirty these days}. We had to stay until we could no longer see, and tempting fate on a dark beach strewn with broken glass and rusty scrap metal was not super intelligent. Yep, I'm sure it's happened to a few of you. The prospect of going junk shopping where everything is free is enough to send the best of us into brainless-crazy-happy-land where you're willingly freeze just to come home with a bunch of filthy trash. Beautiful!

My favorite of Amelie's loot: amazing old metal bed-frame {shown above}. Yep, she's gonna use it.

My own favorite loot: three pieces of toy guns, two square feet worth of beautiful old subway tiles. Yep, eventually, I'm going to use them too.


14 comments:

  1. Wow! Crazy! What beach is this?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right! Gotta love the pistol parts.

    Dan, have you never been?! You gotta go, it's called dead horse bay, northern-ish brooklyn, out near fort tildon beach. You'll love it. About an hour bike ride ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ariele, you got your geography upside down...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow ! when i come back to new york, we'll have to go there !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crap! I do! I was looking at the map and apparently I just haphazardly choose which direction is up ;) Why can't you edit your own comments? Oh well.

    So, Dan, don't listen to me. It's South. Thanks Amelie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg!!! so many treasure you found!!!! i wanna join!!!! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ariele! I just found your blog and everything on it is absolutely gorgeous! It's completely inspired me. I must also give you kudos on your design of Il Vecchio, it's pretty much my fave restaurant here in Monterey and primarily because it's just so beautiful in there. I have a question about your fave junk shop you mentioned back in your California post. Is it near Monterey? I'd love to check it out! Whoa, this comment got long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cassy! I'm always very happy to hear that il vecchio is their favorite place to eat -- It's mine too! Yes, the best junk place to go to there is called Last Chance Mercantile. It's the dump! Out in marina. Lot's of junk you really get to sort through. Also a great antique store is right down the street from the restaurant, called Pieces of Olde. It's great too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't believe you have this treasure trove on your doorstep! I'd be there for far too long, as well..

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I made the long trek today from Greenpoint to Dead Horse Bay to check this out. It was a beautiful day and I brought home with me some great finds. It was definitely worth the journey. Although I did come across a lady who criticized me for picking up a bottle that had "clairol" inscribed on the bottom of it. People are funny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lee!! It's a really REALLY tiny world. REALLY TINY! Because I was there today too... I was the tall one in the yellow plaid scarf ;) HAH!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So amazing! I'd be there way too long myself. Never heard of it. But I've never been to NY either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously? You found all that on the beach? I had no idea that much stuff washed up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.