February 25, 2012

the last of the ash









































I finally got around to cutting the last bits of ash planks into cutting boards. I can't get over how lovely it is to sand away the rough, dirty outer layers to reveal this amazing silvery-purple wood, as smooth as silk. This wood is prefect, it's hard without being hard, soft enough to sculpt easily but sturdy enough to withstand a knife cutting upon it.

I've been thinking a lot lately about woods and how I have a hard time putting anything on them; sealers, waxes, oils. Even though it protects them and keeps them happy, I just have this thing. Why is that? I think I grow accustomed to their natural color as I work with them, and anything else feel strange. I was remembering building the chevron wall of lath at my restaurant {what feels like a year ago at this point} and at least seven people walked in over a period of days {we were still in serious construction mode} and they asked what color are you going to paint that? As a silent retaliation, I didn't even sand it. I left it raw, natural and rough, pure and colorful.

12 comments:

  1. That lath wall is tantalizingly gorgeous! Do you have more pictures of it? I want to see more! I would also LOVE that in my house. Wish I lived closer to NY i'd totally hire you to make one for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually don't have the best photos of this wall completed. Oddly enough. But I plan to visit CA in April and I'm absolutely photographing the heck out of it.

      Delete
  2. People, I touched these ash wood cheeseboards last night with my own hands, and the smoothness! You wouldn't believe it. This ash wood is so beautiful, and of course what Ariele did with it only multiplied its beauty by, oh, one million, easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww why thank you Amelie! I'm so glad you enjoyed fondling my smooth cheeseboards ;) That little one is my fave.

      Delete
  3. This one is so nice.... Have a sweet weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I know what you mean about not putting anything on wood-I like it plain and rough. Though sometimes wax brings out the grain in a nice way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember being so inspired with one's blog! I've been browsing for hours wonderful things you make and can't find the words to praise it enough! You are truly an artist! Definitely becoming a devoted follower! Greetigs from Croatia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Came too your blog via 'The Makers' site, only viewed the first page and felt compelled to say how fabulous your work is and that I want your life! regards from Simon, London, UK

    ReplyDelete
  7. i actually love your style, and the fact that you leave wood unfinished. i much prefer it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found your site via a Lithuanian mag (Llamas' Valley). Am captivated and bookmarked for more browsing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find your work very inspiring. I also like to do my cutting boards. If you want have a look at my blog and you could see my work.
    Thanks and greetings from Spain

    http://carballoestrela.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to go to that restaurant and eat my heart out and and see all of the cool things you've made there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.