March 16, 2012

a table to dine on

{and me, ridiculously happy about it}.
















































































 


This table has been a long time coming. I selectively pieced it together and spent hours just sitting and staring at it. How is that necessary, you ask? Well, this table is important to me. It should have been completed months ago, but the woman who commissioned it is a saint of patience and understanding, so here it sat, legless, waiting for the right house to be gutted so that I could have the perfect wood for the base. Finally, the right wood did appear, thanks entirely to Amelie who always has her eyes open for me.

Technically, this was my first big commission {hence me saying that it should have been done months ago}, but that is why it will have it's place in history. With this, my world became hopeful and I thought for the first time that maybe, just maybe, I could actually get away with this -- "this" of course being: not having a real job, building furniture based on inspiration, from materials I do not buy, out of my apartment, with a few crucial tools, enough desire to power a refrigerator, the determination of a crazy person, and not much else. So yeah, this table saved me. As cheesy as it sounds, this table gave me hope. So here it is. My biggest, most exciting table to date.

And some questions that I am anticipating are answered as follows: No, I did not photoshop that pigeon into the photograph. The pictures were taken in a freight elevator and the poor thing was trapped in there and attempting to crap on my table. The second answer is: No, it did not succeed in crapping on my table. And thirdly, the underside of table is wallpapered with hand printed paper -- triangles! Not that you'll ever see it.

Then, on an aside, have you read this post yet? It's by an amazingly talented girl, from my newest favorite blog, who I now consider my newest friend. Well, you should read it. It's powerful and moving and inspiring, and it's a coming together of like minds in a way I never would have pictured happening if you told me that it would happen a few years ago. I mean, really, meeting friends online? Phfa! But alas, it's true and real, and freaking awesome.

And one last thing. Today, one year ago. Happy Birthday blog! We've come a long way together.


20 comments:

  1. Hear, hear! Good things are worth waiting for. And this table is better than good. This elevator shaft is the perfect setting for it too! Down to the pattern on its metal siding.

    Once again, well done mademoiselle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.. love that pattern...it's just a dream to see your work!!!! no triangle??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have been following your blog for a few months now and am simply wow'd by your creations, your site and your posts. Simple and well thought out. I'd say I wished more were like this but then sites like yours wouldn't seem so cool. Keep create'n.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's beautiful, ariele. and it's inspiring to hear your story of the table/commission and reminds me to keep working (when i can - those ideas are coming even though i don't have the time right now to act!) because it'll totally worth it! oh, and i think this one looks great with the lacquer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That table is beautiful!
    You are really inspiring, and I wish that in the future I will be half as talented as you are!
    I'm just staring out with my jewelry, and I know it's not the same thing as your thing, but we both believe in recycling things and making unique pieces.
    So basically I just wanted to say that you are super talented and that I really look up to you and your work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful table, ariele. very true that if we just wait for the right thing to come along, it eventually does. not worth it to settle for less and not be truly happy about it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the most beautiful table I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy birthday. don't give up. we are all rooting for you.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday bloggy!!! You have done some awesome things in the past year. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it strange for me to say that I really like how structurally sound it looks? It's one thing to make a table attractive, it's another to make it so it will last a long time, especially since people are pretty hard on tables.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my very very very most favorite one YET. And I'm guessing this is also the reason I have your beautiful wee cheese board lording over my wee kitchen, mes non? SO incredibly proud of you, A. This is gorgeous. GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! This is indeed the one! This one, YOU made happen lady. In reality, I should owe you a cheeseboard that is not so wee ;)

      Delete
  12. Ariele...this table is guilty of absorbing many a minute and an hour...it was the centerpiece of Sunday Stew - in fact, no one set a dish or a bowl on the table so as to avoid eclipsing even an inch of its gorgeous color. Thank YOU for your heartfelt investment in this piece and for celebrating with an inaugural meal. I hope the adventure back yielded a few abandoned barns and a giant wood carved bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALY! I am SO happy that this table got some serious love and attention. Perhaps it is not doing it's job if no one uses it ;) Is it slacking off? Do I need to have a serious word with it? I've known my tables to be attention hogs, but I gave it a good lecture on the drive up, "now table, be a good table, let people set plates on you, I'll have none of your shenanigans!"

      Delete
  13. Wow, seriously beautiful . Just discovered you via design sponge. Love you aesthetic and hopefully someday I will get a real paying job so that I can buy a table from ya'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this table is stunning. so is the rest of your work.

    was very inspired by your home featured on design sponge and found my way over here. one day when i become the sort of person who can afford to do so, i will commission this exact table from you.

    keep it up.

    xx.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is gorgeous. you are so inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so, so great. I'm glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job. I also work with scrape wood. your designs and its simplicity is really attractive. I would like to make some projects like yours.. Good luck

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.