July 31, 2012

slow and detailed

{on the happiness of making rough wood lay flat}


Measuring, cutting, sifting through heaps of lath; measuring, cutting, searching through piles of lath again. It's a repetitive sport, this thing I do. But I've been learning to be more selective, to pay more attention to detail, to work slower. I've now started spending more time with each strip of wood, deciding where it should go, where it feels right. I started hand-planing the back and sides of every piece, getting them straighter, making them more even. It's a heck-of-a-lot more tedious, sure, but now my surfaces are smoother and level, and the seams and cracks are getting tighter or disappearing completely.

It's interesting -- to slow down. Normally, I feel like at this point I should be speeding up, working faster, making more. But with this new slowness in me, I'm teaching myself, and it's a wonderful feeling to still know you can learn. I can always get better, and that makes me want to keep going.

And speaking of slow things, on the exact opposite end of that I've now joined something rather fast: Yes, yes indeed, I am now doing the Instagramy Thingy. Hooray! I know some have said it was about damn time I got a fancy phone. Well, I held out long enough, and the pull of the immediate has finally caught me. And the thing is... I love it! I love seeing everyone's photographs and I've been happily flooding the internet with a stream of pretty little squares just like an over zealous newbie should.

Find those little squares @arielealasko.


10 comments:

  1. This pattern is magnificent. And up on that roof? Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite pattern yet! Can this one be mine?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the fact that your work is so original. You work with wood making your own style, that's great.
    And yes, slower is better, but it there are limits :P Ah, unfortunately I am beyond the limit, my work is ... you know what would come out if you crossed snail and turtle ... yeah, my work is like that.
    Keep up with those great ideas,
    Szymon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's funny you mention the slowness that comes after the harried way of doing things that one gets used to the more they do it...actually, you should check out julianne ahn of object and totem. o&t came into existence after she discovered ceramics was great at teaching one to slow down and appreciate the detail in things.

    also, welcome to instagram! so good to see little snips and bits along the way. and the occasional kitty photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous as always!
    I fought instagram as long as I could...but yes, it's much too fun to resist now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My boyfriend and I were just talking about refutation piece of not self-re-done furniture we want to buy, and settle on a headboard of yours. Truly beautiful work. Also, this means a lot because I live in BFE of Oklahoma, so yor work has really been traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also a new smartphone user, so Ican appreciate the flux of Instagram. It's assisting! Your work is beautiful. The first piece of furniture I plan to purchase for my next apartment is one of your headboards. Truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the tables that you have designed - have they all been used indoors. How do these tables/design work if they were put in an outdoor patio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that second paragraph. It's a good thing to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just discovered your blog and I love your work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.