March 12, 2013

happenings

{small updates on some new things, and a mini adventure}

The studio is hanging in there nicely and dust is never under control -- a decent problem to have for a woodshop. I've been building things at my usual pace of slow-and-steady, always hunting for more lath and popping my head into every dumpster I pass, just in case. What's the news? Well, I have an assistant now! Just super part-time but he's been such a help in taking over some of my least favorite parts of the building process. *Ahem* {sanding!}.

Lately I've been noticing that every pattern I make feels like a landscape. Some more literally than others {like this black-mountainous coffee table}, but even the more abstract patterns make me feel like I'm outdoors, painting the scenery expanding out before me. Perhaps this is an important part of living in a city, finding the little ways that we can still see the space around us.




























And adventure! I had a thrilling week of lath scores and exploring, two of my favorite things and it's even better when they are all rolled into one. I was tipped off that an old church down the street from me was being gutted to be turned into condos. It was gut-wrenching to hear about this, and to see it happening, but! One can't spend too many hours sad about unchangeable things, so we found the positive twist in the form of kindhearted demolition-crews who let us inside the towering old beauty to check it out, before it was all gone.


It was stunning and awe-inspiring and sad and thrilling. I was lucky enough to be allowed to take two giant bundles of hundred year old lath from the premises, and the guys helped me stuff it in the back of my car -- utterly perplexed of course, for what on earth could she want with all this crap?

Well, you lovely dust-covered, hard-hat-wearing, cake-eating men {yes, it was one guys birthday and they were chowing down when we arrived} THIS is what I want with all this crap.


Thanks boys! And if you'd like to see more beautiful photographs of the church, taken with a proper camera {as I only had my phone on me} look here.

{Also, go pick up an issue of Kinfolk, Volume Seven! I have a little interview in there and some beautiful photographs by the lovely Nicole Franzen. Go check it out! You can also see some more gorgeous shots of my studio taken by Nicole, right here!}.

27 comments:

  1. Your work is truly beautiful. I really do wish I owned that headboard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I want to have some of your work in my home. Might be tricky getting it to Sydney but one day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That church is AMAZING! you are so, so lucky to have seen and rescued a little bit of that gorgeousness. And I love that coffee table. love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what the world needs, more condos! But I'm so happy you got to preserve some of it, to be kept in loving homes. Hurray for nice builders!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, how creative and inspiring!
    {lamourcheznous.wordpress.com}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Discovered your blog through La Buena Vida and spent the better part of yesterday and today reading every single entry, starting from the beginning! Wonderful stuff--the furniture and art, of course, but also the blog! Keep blogging; such a delightful read! PS: We're Bklyn neighbors and we all got a kick out of seeing "The Second Man I Love," which is right around the block from us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super job! Hooray for kindly workers and preservation. Congrats to your new 'helper'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Ariele,

    You don't know me but I've been following your great adventures on Instagram for a while now, and when I found this article on Etsy, I'm immediately thought of you !
    http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2013/featured-shop-rooted-in-succulents/

    Hope you enjoy it !
    Lysanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Amazing church! And I'm in love with the "mountain" table!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate seeing buildings in that state, but it is wonderful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ariele! BTW, don't think I didn't notice that stack of cheese/bread boards sitting on the workbench in the background... heehee
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  12. ALike Alison, I hope that one day i'll have one of your work in my home, in Paris (France) ;- )

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's my coffee table! it looks so lovely in these photos. now that you've pointed it out i can't see anything but mountains when i look at it, or a scorched landscape like the black hills or badlands. i love that.

    xx.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what an awesome find!! my hubby and i were exploring an old school/community center type building and the original hard wood floors to the gym were there and we (well, i) wanted to scoop them up and rescue them from the elements!! i didnt know what i wanted to do with them, i just WANTED them!! lol
    i've been directed here from vintage revivals, btw..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your work is inspiring and gorgeous. It is so wonderful that you use reclaimed wood. It has character and is so freaking beautiful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ariele! I really love your work and your instagrams are also lovely! I was very happy when I found you some time ago. I make link list post about creative and talented people and this week you were also there. And have to say that the church looks very sad but very amazing material you got from there. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spent the past few days reading your whole blog. Amazing stuff. I felt like I was reading a good book and was sad when it was over :/ I'm one of the display artists at Urban Outfitters in Milwaukee and we LIVE off of dumpster diving. Amazing how things can transform isn't it? I was feeling a little guilty reading one of your posts from last year though. The building next door has been being gutted simultaneously to me reading this blog. And guess what I happened upon today? A big old pile of lathe! I was going to make a table with the same design but I guess I should put my own spin on things. Reading your blog really got the gears turning in my head. All the old storage locker doors from the building next door were torn out and i snatched one up and made it into a head board after reading your blog. The materials are endless with the rate I see these old beauties being gutted and torn down. But really thanks for the inspiration. Reading your blog just got me itching to get out and start building. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Ariele!
    I just found your blog and I'm completely blown away. All of this is so amazing. You are incredibly talented and inspirational and in the last half hour or so I have become a massive fan.
    Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What breaks my heart is a real estate agent tried to sell that church as mixed-use to a friend and I a few years ago--well beyond our budget, and needed a new roof but at least in that case it would have still been standing. It was an amazing afternoon when he took us all through the whole place--choir loft, basement rooms, etc. We had some good dreams about it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. AnonymousMay 12, 2013

    How is it that you get everything to fit so tightly? Are you planeing the sides?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the spoons. Alexandra H.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear goodness your blog is so so so awesome! and your craft! gosh so jealous! i have huge respect for anyone that is in the field of fine craftsmanship, I really feel like its a lost art. I'm a bit obsessed with the art of leather crafting. I feel like our generation is a want now generation and can't really step back and take in the beauty of certain things. And heck yes on adventures and boo to that church turning into something else. Holy crap! I just wrote you a novel hahaha sorry and but lovely your blog and everything with it and can't wait till the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found you by chance and fell in love with your tote bag but this is what I found on your blog is simply AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know that church all too well.... It is at the Bedford Nostrand stop. For two years (right before construction) I lived right next door in the old rectory and I had a huge garden that sat right up against the old church. That church is like an old friend to me and I miss it so much... Your photos of it are beautiful and make me miss home. Is this the church: http://avantgartdener.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/the-big-apple-bit-me-back.html
    I absolutely love your woodwork too and would love to purchase something. Do you ship overseas? You have a new fan, I wish you continued success.... Thank you... Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hope they are at least preserving some of the beautiful elements of that space! Can't wait to see what you make with the salvaged pieces!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you dearly for your comments! They always make my day.